Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

I have spent the last hour resting on this sunny Sunday afternoon.  It's been beautiful to rest and read.  I'm determined to finish Jayber Crow before I start the next Harry Potter book.  They are written so differently and I feel the excitement of Hogwarts calling me to start the fifth book of the series.  At the same time, finishing Jayber Crow is good for me.  It's slow reading, and after a chapter or maybe two I feel completely satisfied with what I have just read and can easily but it down until I'm ready to visit small town Kentucky again.  It's a different kind of reading that I am learning to enjoy.

Life is busy...May is always this way.  The older two have eight days of school left and Evan finishes his last year of preschool this week.  I now have two part time jobs.  I have just accepted the positon of part time Children's Director at our church.  I am really excited about the opportunity and I am surprised to find myself enjoying a new identity that is outside my role as "mom."  I am still working for my dad and now am learning some new responsibilities in this area of my life as well.  It's an interesting place to be...a place that several of my close friends find themselves as well.  We are stay-at-home moms that work.  We aren't seen as "working moms" so we are still fully expected to be at the field trips and to bring in great snacks on special days at school.  After school, snack should be ready and we should be prepared to start in on homework with the kids.  Take-out isn't an acceptable dinner...we are stay at home moms.  We should have a dinner menu planned that is healthy and tasty.  We work, but we try so hard to make sure it never effects our family.  We work early in the morning and late into the night, usually when our kids our sleeping.  It may sound like I'm griping, but I'm not.  I wouldn't trade it for anything.  Staying home and not earning an income isn't a luxury we can afford, so this is the best option.  But it is something I've been thinking about lately and I felt like recognizing it here honors the work that my friends, like Becky and Kelsie, do to keep their homes running smoothly and earn an income at the same time.

My kids are good.  We are gearing up for another summer of our at home summer camp.  We're pretty excited about the ideas we have come up with this year.  My two year old is a little more than I can handle right now.  She has a temper and she whines.  I know these are normal two year old traits, but it's making me feel a little crazy.  She spent some time in her bed this morning after a big tantrum and Trey was so upset with me for trying to discipline her.  This is the problem, she's spoiled rotten and often her brothers are the biggest culprits.  They do anything she tells them to do. They really love her so much.  This morning I sat and cried as I listened to Riley talk to his Sunday School class about his sister.  I was in the next room, he didn't know I was listening.  They were sharing about moments in their lives when they knew they had experienced God.  Riley shared about finding out he was going to have a sister.  He said she was his miracle.  He had been so excited to bring Nana home from Liberia, and he had grieved her loss along with Eric and I.  Cora, he believes, was his gift from God.  And she is a gift, a miracle.  But my little miracle sure does need to spend part of her day in time out right now!

My Riley is growing so quickly.  I sat and watched him from a distance this week and was amazed at how grown up he seemed.  Next year will be his last year in elementary school.  He came to me last week to ask what it meant to follow Jesus.  He's growing up and I'm very proud of the young man he is becoming.

My Trey is precious, tender and sweet.  His feelings are fragile and sometimes I hurt them without realizing it.  He is thrilled with the new chicks and would move into the coop if we let him.  He continues to have a sense of adventure that makes me a little nervous as he approaches adolescence.  I love to read his writing...I love to see how his brain works.  I love to watch him play the piano.

My Evan...my baby.  I am so grateful that Mount Vernon only has half day kindergarten because I am just not ready to spend an entire day away from Evan.  There isn't much else to say...he is my boy.

And Cora, my girl...my beautiful, crazy, dirty, princess.  The loves of my life.

Longest blog ever, but writing this long only seemed appropriate on a afternoon which has been this relaxing.  Reading this later, when they are older, will be a gift.  

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home